Gameworldone.com

Νέα απο τα site ανα το κόσμο για το Football manager Live!
Tsakalaki
Asst Researcher ΠΑΟΚ - Story Teller
Football Manager της ομάδας: Tottenham
Αγαπημένη Ομάδα: Dynamo Podilatou
facebook προφίλ: antonis.tsakaleas
twitter: Tsak_attaq

Ένα απο τα πλέον εξειδικευμένα fan site που αφορά το Football Manager Live. Πλήρης ενημέρωση, άρθρα, απόψεις, και γενικότερα μια δουλειά άκρως αξιόλογη. Τελευταία ήρθαν σε "σύγκρουση" ουσιαστικά με την SI λόγω της κριτικής που άσκησαν, αλλά μάλλον δικαιώθηκαν αν σκεφτεί κανείς πως οι "φωνές" τους, μαζί με σχεδόν όλων των παικτών του FML εισακούστηκαν.

Εδώ, θα συγκεντρώνουμε τα πλέον ενδιαφέροντα άρθρα που δημοσιεύονται στο site
--------------------------------------------------------

Εσαεί Πρόεδρος ΠΑ.ΣΥ.ΣΠΑ PC | -2002

26.08.10 | All my FM Stories | Πώς το Football Manager έγινε κομμάτι της ζωής μου
Spoiler: show
RedArmy: «Το κακο με τον Τσακ, είναι ότι ποτέ δεν μπορείς να καταλάβεις αν κάνει πλάκα ή τα λέει σοβαρά :D»
ArK ass: «Aμαν ρε Τσακ...εκει που εμφανιζεται η ελπιδα, ερχεσαι εσυ και την εξαφανιζεις»
nirearas: «Γιατί, τσακ γεννιέσαι... Δεν γίνεσαι...»

My Twitch channel
Tsakalaki

The next cheat tactic!

Άρθρο που αφορά το τομέα των τακτικών, με αναφορές σε σχήματα όπως το 4-6-0 (το οποίο ήταν εκνευριστικά αποτελεσματικό στο FML) και το 4-5-1, που χρησιμοποιείται κατα κόρον.

Perhaps it?s because I haven?t been playing that much Football Manager Live of late, but I haven?t seen much talk of cheat tactics around lately. Sure, the same old accusations about the 4-6-0 or the 4-5-1 pop up from time to time. But on the whole, people have been relatively calm on the matter. Or, at least, they are complaining about more fundamental issues.

So, with the reset coming closer, I wonder whether this will flair up again? There have been a fair few match engine rants since the game arrived, and quite a few have been down to cheat tactics.
The 4-5-1

To start with, it was the 4-5-1. The flat, bog-standard default formation which, for many reasons, appeared to crush all before it.

There were some reasons for this. Earlier version of the ME could not cope with packed central midfields. Although in real life it is a legitimate tactic to deliberately flood the centre of the park and break up the opposition?s play, this was too effectual in the ME. Even if you had a 4-5-1 variant which looked to exploit the rigidity of the flat 4-5-1 system by playing ?between the lines? (as ?The Special One? would have it), the three MCs held dominion over the entire match.

Also, we were still under the yoke of tactics skills. The 4-5-1 is a simple and effective formation for people who have few tactical options. It?s stable, it controls the midfield, it?s easy to buy players for, and (perhaps this was the crucial point) everyone else was playing it, so it offered a good mirror to the other managers.

Was it a ?cheat?? Of course not. The 4-5-1 could be countered easily with a heavy pressing game, quick ball movement and some inventive use of opposition instructions, staggered midfield instructions and quality players. The point was that most people either didn?t have these things at their disposal or were unable to utilise them effectively even if they did.
The 4-6-0

And then the Four-Six-Zero came along. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the historical viability of the formation there?s no doubt that it caused a stir amongst the Football Manager Live community.

At its heart was the accusation that the ME failed to deal well with striker-less formations. Without FCs, the defenders didn?t know who to mark or where to run. This left a large hole between the defence and the midfield which was hard to plug ? and with the defenders struggling to pick a player to tackle, goals came flooding in.

This was the theory. And it wasn?t baseless. Many changes to the behaviour of defenders had to be coded in before the 4-6-0 wad properly tamed.

But, again, was it a ?cheat?? No. There were justifications for playing the 4-6-0. Again, it was easy to buy for, it did produce some very attractive football, and, played properly even with the refined match engine, it still caused problems for defences and still exploited the gaps in the opposition?s shape. That, indeed, is the whole point of the 4-6-0! In exactly the same way that the 4-5-1 was designed to dominate the midfield!
Follow the leader

In the end, though, the biggest dictator of this whole thing was fashion. Who was playing 4-5-1? Everyone else. So I?ll play 4-5-1! What, they?ve switched to 4-6-0?

Of course, this is far too simplistic to explain the whole phenomenon. The other aspect was the use of these formations by the gameworlds? supposed ??lite?. That is to say, most of the top 10 in most of the gameworlds would be using whatever was considered the ?cheat formation?.

I think this neglected a number of key issues. First, that the top teams could probably play whatever formation they liked and they would still be in the top 10. The wealth and quality of their squads was insurmountable ? at least in the short term. So, chances are that they were simply playing whichever formation was fashionable, found that it won games, and stuck with it. This in turn built their reputation as super tactics, despite the fact that you could probably take a sample of 10 teams from any rank and find the same distribution of ?cheat? tactics.
So, whither the cheat?

Having played a large chunk of Football Manager 10 over the past months, alongside Football Manager Live, it?s quite clear that, despite having the same match engines, the games look very different. Perhaps that?s due to the thousands of games played every day by real humans; perhaps it?s because humans don?t set up their teams the way the game thinks they will; perhaps it?s because of the huge gulf in class between opponents from one game to the next; perhaps its all of these and more.

But from what I?ve seen, I cannot see one particular formation which is so obviously dominant against most others. For the 4-5-1 and the 4-6-0, its strengths were such that it could take on most formations and at least be its equal (player class permitting). Now, though, every system has its flaws and strengths. So one game you may run riot, the next, against different opposition, you may be trounced.

Far more important (and this has always been the case) are player instructions. How a formation plays is far more important than what the formation is. Two 4-5-1s may be exactly the same shape. But one which encourages all the midfielders to bomb forward and the striker to drop back is very different to one that tells the midfield to hold firm and lump it up to a target man. It?s not the formation which causes the issues ? it?s the style of play it produces.

So, for me, I hope these debates about cheat formations are dead. If we?re going to blame something for our losses come FML 2.0, I reckon we should just blame the match engine. It will save us a lot of bother!

26.08.10 | All my FM Stories | Πώς το Football Manager έγινε κομμάτι της ζωής μου
RedArmy: «Το κακο με τον Τσακ, είναι ότι ποτέ δεν μπορείς να καταλάβεις αν κάνει πλάκα ή τα λέει σοβαρά :D»
ArK ass: «Aμαν ρε Τσακ...εκει που εμφανιζεται η ελπιδα, ερχεσαι εσυ και την εξαφανιζεις»

My Twitch channel
Tsakalaki

On The Forums ? 1.4, Youth Academies and More ?
On The Forums

There?s a definite sense of expectation spreading throughout the Football Manager Live gaming arena of late, and the official forums are no exception. With the lure of 1.4 not too far away and a growing sense of approval for some of the ideas being discussed in the developers? forum, the sense of dread felt by many about the reset has changed to a renewed enthusiasm. The scheduled restart in March this year is now something people are looking forward to rather than something they fight against.
FML Version 1.4 Announced

The planned release date for the 1.4 update into the current live gameworlds was announced last week:
?We plan to release Version 1.4 on Monday 1st February and there is likely to be an extended period of downtime that could see the game unavailable from 6am until 8pm (GMT)?
With a number of key changes and some new features it?s one of the most anticipated updates so far and carries a fair amount of expectation from those playing, with some suggesting it will determine whether they continue post reset or not.

There are a lot of changes and improvements coming before the reset and to assist with the increased work load Sports Interactive have decided to create an additional Beta World. So whether you are still playing or just want to see what all the fuss is about then now is an ideal opportunity to get on board, beta worlds are run different to the live ones but this post from Bertie BG outlines some of the significant differences so if your interested check it out and sign on now.
Good Idea ?

Dex22 raises an interesting way for the community to get further involved in Football Manager Live. His suggestion here is to allow those playing the game a bit more input in the news items generated in game after each match, as mentioned they begin to get a bit repetitive after awhile.

Not sure whether it?s by giving people an opportunity to submit new ideas for news items to the developers, or by creating a in game news service that people can contribute too. But either (or both) would be great addition to the game and anything that helps bind the community together is always worth a closer look.
IRC ? Chat with people across gameworlds ?

On the topic of community involvement, some of the guys from Coppell have got themselves organised and created an IRC Chat Room. With many of these guys playing across many live gameworlds, as well as the beta world of Coppell, they have decided to open it up to anyone interested.

So if your gameworld is a little quiet of late and you want somewhere to chat with others playing the game then check it out, with many of these lads also involved in the beta process you may find out some interesting snippets on what?s coming while you are there! Connect to the server (IRC.UTONET.ORG) and join the channel #FML.

If you have no idea what an IRC channel is or how to set it up then check out the thread, there?s a fairly comprehensive selection of links to information on everything you need to do to get involved.
Around The Community
About Time

Like the The Fiery Baptist a few weeks ago, this is another post from a blog we?d thought long gone. The Almost Retired Blog has an interesting perspective, with sides in Muhren, Miller, Shearer, Hoddle and Coppell it gives good coverage on what?s going on across a number of gameworlds. This is the first post since last August but hopefully as he mentions he will now find more time to do regular updates on what?s happening with his sides and the gameworlds they are in.
Jakswans Blog

Jakswan is probably the busiest of FML bloggers and this week has been no different, fortunately he?s one of the more interesting too.
In The Big Questions he offers some insights into the new wages being looked at for Football Manager Live and where some of the resistance to it lies. Then in Men are Needed Now he looks at how these changes have affected the valuation of youth players along with a hint on how vital maintaining a high reputation is now to keeping a top side together.

Finally Why are Wage Auctions Dirty? is a little rant for those who argue against the system ~ I think. With some of the new changes in Miller (1.5 code) leaning toward more emphasis on this area of the game it?s getting a lot of attention. But as Jak says, it?s got to be about looking out for the new guys not the established clubs, we?ve all seen what happens if the new guys don?t stick around in FMLive.
Developer Blog ? Youth Academies

Rob Cooper is the guru of youth player development for Football Manager Live (amongst other things) and his blogs are always informative. This one takes a look at the new Youth Academies and how they work, it also includes some insights into the strategy behind choosing where to build so definitely a must read.
Barcalonika TV ? ?REGEN-eration X?

If anyone rivals Jakswan as the busiest blogger then it?s probably G. Wise over at Barcalonika FC, always one of my favourite stops in the blogosphere the detail here is brilliant. As promised after the response to his first episode of Barcalonika TV, there?s now a whole lot more. The full version of this one goes for 25 minutes, but it?s split across 3 parts. Another great merger of real life footage and the stars of Barcalonika in action so if you got a few minutes check it out. Parts 2 and 3 can be found on the Barcalonika FC Website here.

My Twitch channel
Tsakalaki

5 Tips to Realise the Power of Resource Management in the Match Engine

Normally, when people think of resources in Football Manager Live they think of money and players. Perhaps if they give it a bit more thought, though, they think of things like skill points and contract locks; and start to dissect a resource like cash into multiple resources, such as present cash and future cash. However, there are quite literally hundreds of different resources in FML at your disposal, and ultimately, every decision you make is made to gain some resources at the expense of losing others.

I believe the most important skill by far in FML is effective resource management. The ability to manage your resources extremely well (whether done consciously or not) is what really separates those managers who remain at the top for seasons on end from those that rise and fall or never reach there to begin with.

One aspect that I don?t believe I?ve ever heard discussed in FML is resource management within the match engine and competition table. I think certain aspects of resource management many FML managers are aware of in the context of normal tactical decision making, but how many are fully aware of their key significance in their own right? Over the course of a season, the league title can be decided by the narrowest of narrow margins. I should know, I?ve actually won the last 2 seasons of the CFA Premiership in Clough on goal difference. The last of which was a 3-way points tie for first, and 4th place had only 1 point fewer.

We?re at the half way point this season and it looks just as though again. It?s going to be a very close one indeed with 4 teams within a couple of points of each other at the top of the table. When a league title is decided on goal difference, the most seemingly insignificant of events can decide it?s outcome. Your star striker picking up a pointless yellow card early in the season, might mean that later in the season he has accumulated enough yellows to get a suspension and he misses the final league match of the season, which you don?t win and ultimately costs you the league title.

• 1. Understand the Resources that are Available to you
Firstly, here?s a quick brain dump to have a look at some of the key resources available to you within a match.

A. Goals/Score: The amount of goals scored by your team and by the opposition (the margin in which you are winning or losing by)

B. Time: The amount of time remaining in the match

C. Yellow Cards: The number of yellow cards a player has in a match (obviously this is either 0, 1 or 2 ? in which case their match is finished)

D. Players on the pitch: This is both the players being individual resources, as well as the total number of players you have on the pitch being a resource

E. Condition of the players on the pitch: The lower the condition the less they are able to ?give? on the pitch as well as having an increased chance of injury

F. Substitutions: The number of substitutions you have remaining

G. Substitutes: The players which you have available on your bench to be able to substitute on

There are a lot of other resources that are less obvious. For example, warnings received by players from the referee, as they will increase the chance of that player picking up a yellow or a red card.

Key Point: Every decision you make within the match engine of FML should be made with the intention of trying to change the way resources are increased/decreased.

• 2. Understand that all decisions you make are made with resource management in mind
Ultimately, any decision needs to take into consideration the situation at hand and the resources available. Any decision made comes with a risk element in a game that involves chance (which FML does). The resources are all finite and adjust the risk involved accordingly. For example, in relation to time, the more time that is left in a match, the more risk there is involved with any decision that you make. This is because there is more chance that things can change from the state that they were in when you made your decision. Spending your resources when there is lots of time left (for example using all of your substitutions in the first 20 minutes of a match) comes with great risk because there is still 70 minutes left in which the state of play can change. Using all of your substitutions with just a couple minutes of injury time remaining in a match comes with far less risk, because there is very limited time in which the state of play can change.

The margin by which your team is winning or losing by is also a resource. If you are winning by 5 goals you will be much more inclined to preserve your other resources to reduce the possibility of a situation so drastic occurring that it could result in you conceding 5 goals. In such a situation it is not logical to use all of your substitutes early in the match because this will increase the risk of you having less than 11 players on the pitch, which is probably all you need to be able to do to ensure that your team wins.

Some typical decisions you might make are:

You use a ?substitution? resource and a ?substitute? resource to

A. increase the chances of changing the ?score? resource positively

B. take a player off the pitch who has already picked up a ?yellow card? resource and therefore increase your chances of preserving your 11 ?players on the pitch? resources

C. waste some ?time? resource to ensure that you hold onto your 1 goal in front ?score? resource

D. take a player off the pitch who has a very low ?condition? resource to ensure that he doesn?t get injured

Key Point: Reducing the chances of players picking up suspensions or injuries ensures that you have a better chance of having additional ?player? resources available to you for future matches.

• 3. Treat luck as though it were a resource
Chance (Luck) isn?t exactly a resource in the same sense as other resources. Resource based game theory is more about the ability to identify good and bad fortune (luck) and adjust your resource management decisions accordingly. However, I think for the sake of simplicity and making key points, we can think of ?luck? as a resource because so many other resources are gained and spent with the impact they will have on your ?luck? factored into the decision. If you make a decision that reduces your ?luck? (i.e. making all your substitutions at half time), you can also think of this as ?spending? your ?luck? resource. Just the same as if you don?t make any decisions you are in fact ?preserving? your ?luck? resource.

When you think of ?luck? as a resource like this however, it actually becomes two resources. ?Good luck? and ?Bad luck?. For example, if you are 3-0 down at half time, by making drastic changes and spending all 3 of your ?substitution? resources you are in fact negatively impacting your ?Bad luck? resource considerably, as you are quite dramatically increasing the chances of finishing the game with 10 men. However, you are also positively impacting your ?Good luck? resource, as the drastic changes you have made will increase the likelihood of the 2nd half playing out considerably different from the first half, and therefore giving your team potentially a better chance of finishing the game with a draw (or win) result. So in simple terms:

Situation: 3-0 down at half time

Spend: 3 ?substitution? resources, negatively impact ?bad luck? resource

Gain: positively impact ?good luck? resource

End Result: more chance to win the game, draw the game, and more chance of a humiliating losing score line

If you don?t make the substitutions the End Result would be:

Less chance to win or draw the game, but more chance to lose the game by a respectable margin.

Key Point: Many decisions to spend and preserve resources are made with the impact they will have on ?luck? as a key consideration

• 4. Big Questions are made up from lots of Little Questions
Do I turn down tackling instructions when players get a yellow card?

The answer to this question is situational. As with any other decision, you need to analyse the information at hand and make the best informed decision possible. To help answer this question, the following questions might help you make a better decision: How often does the player get yellow cards? What is the likelihood of him getting a second yellow card and being sent off? What would be the impact of having the player sent off on your position in the match? How much time is remaining in the match? What is your current position in the match, can you afford to have a player taking it easy and not tackling as hard? Are you in a strong commanding position and have the luxury of playing it safe, or are you in a bad position and need to take risks in order to get a result?

Do I substitute off a player when he gets a yellow card?

Yet again the answer to this question is situational, and many of the questions you need to ask yourself are the same as in the above point. Ultimately you need to get into the mindset of thinking of yellow cards, substitutions and players on the pitch as resources. Is it worth spending a ?substitution? resource to reduce the likelihood of losing a ?player on the pitch? resource due to him picking up a second ?yellow card? resource? How many ?substitution? resources will you have left? What if a player (or players) get injured? What if you need to make a tactical substitution? You need to determine what the likelihood of all these events taking place are, and ultimately decide if substituting a player off is ?worth? it.

Key Point: If you can break down your choices and decisions into their parts, you have a much better chance to be able to analyse the correctness of that decision

• 5. Resources are Transferable from Matches to Competitions
When a match is already won, turn down your tackling intensity to avoid unnecessary cards and injuries. Your star striker could pick up an unnecessary yellow card, and then later ends up suspended for the last match of the season after picking up a suspension after reaching 5 yellow cards. However by taking it easy you might concede a goal at the end of the match and ultimately go on to lose the title by a goal difference of 1. Over the course of a season there are many key decisions you might make within matches that are already won or lost, which can ultimately win or lose you competitions.

Consistently making good decisions over a long season does have a positive effect on your teams final points tally in the table. So even when a match is won or lost, do not treat it any less seriously. The decisions made during the closing stages of such matches could end up being the decisions that win or lose you the league, allow you to qualify for a Gold or Silver cup spot, or result in you avoiding relegation.

There are cross overs between resource management within a match that extend to outside of the match. For example, that yellow card that the striker picked up in the match, although it had no bearing on the outcome of the match, did have bearing on a future match and ultimately the league title. Results (points in the league) are also resources, just as goals for and against (goal difference) and yellow cards (and red cards, suspensions and injuries) are. You need to not only be able to evaluate resources in the context of the match, but also in the context of the competition.

Trying to benefit from one resource during a match (i.e. not getting another yellow card, or substituting off a key player to avoid him getting injured) might mean that you win that match by a smaller margin (or lose it by a greater margin). However, if you have a vastly inferior goal difference to the teams around you in the league anyway, this is a ?resource? that you can afford to sacrifice to ensure that you have better chance of having other resources available (i.e. players not injured/suspended) for your remaining matches.

Key Point: Once the match is already won (or lost), the rest of the match is about planning for future matches

Hopefully this article has at least some helpful information that is able to provide you with food for thought, so that you can better analyse the decisions that you make, and consequently become a better decision maker. The ultimate key to becoming a better FML player is to be able to fully understand why you make the choices you do, and fully utilise the power of hindsight to understand which choices were good and which choices where not so good (and why). The underlying goal of this thought process is to make better decisions in the future.

My Twitch channel
Tsakalaki

Football Manager Live Gameworld Types

Finally back to a normal and stable internet connection, after a month or so away from FML i have a fair bit of catching up to. The following article was actually written some months ago, but with the recent announcement about the relaunch of FML it?s still worth posting. The current choices between gameworld types will be a fairly important step come relaunch so make yourselves aware of the differences between the two major types. If you haven?t chosen as yet ? or wish to change your selection you can do so via the official website.

Back in November 2009 the first part of the announcement dealing with the future of Football Manager Live talked about the different types of gameworlds that would be available. Followed up quickly with a Q&A in the forums on the returning stars gameworlds, but this area hasn?t received a lot of attention since then. With the release of the 1.4 update not far away, and the change of all current live worlds to the Returning Stars format, it?s worth taking a look at these gameworld types and what the significant differences are.
Returning Stars

The most obvious point of difference for this world type is the initial player database, with real name players available from day one it?s clear this will be a popular choice for many and a good starting point (familiarity wise) for anyone beginning their management career in Football Manager Live.

Having a known player database will make it easier for people to identify with the players in their squad and also easier to identify the threats in the opposition, as experienced already it will also influence the market place with players having an increased value because of who they are, not just how good they are.

The big problem for older worlds under the original system of FMLive occurred with players aging, where was the attraction for managers to stay in (or join) older gameworlds once their favourite players had retired? This is the main area that the new ?Returning Stars? type gameworlds look to address, and that will happen in a couple of ways.

Player Cloning

The big change to the player database (and this applies in a similar way to the Newgen Worlds, but we?ll discuss that later) is what happens to players after retirement. Instead of disappearing altogether from a gameworld, a new ?clone? version of that player will be created at the players starting age in the current FM database. An important note here is that this new version of the player will be based on the latest FM database and if the gameworld is old enough then that may not be the same as when the gameworld started.

?There will always be some variation as there is a random element involved in creating a player again, filling in any stats that might be missing from the research database etc.?
Ov Collyer ? Sports Interactive

So who gets cloned? All real name players available at the start of a gameworld will be re-cloned when they retire (with the exception of any players who may retire in the first season), any newgens that come through later (and it?s important to note that this will still happen in these game worlds) will not be re-cloned when they retire. The next interesting step for these gameworlds is how these players are then factored back into the active gameworld and this is done in two different ways.

Player Draft

Player drafts start several seasons into a gameworlds life, players that retire during the first season are ignored (not cloned), players retiring during the second season are the first ones available for the provisional draft throughout season 3 and this draft happens at the start of season 4.

So who gets drafted? Players are drafted to teams based on Acq Fee (at this stage) and each active team in the gameworld (you must have logged in at least once in the previous season to be eligible), is allotted a player based on the teams reputation. New teams joining a gameworld get the best selections, followed by re-starters that season, and then it moves to team reputation so that the best team in the gameworld effectively gets the worst player.

The provisional draft beginning from season 3 is where you get to make your first decision in the process. Throughout the season you can see whereabouts on the list you are likely to receive a draft pick (this will change as your team progresses or other teams join) as well as the player you are in line to acquire. At anytime throughout this provisional draft you can elect to waive your draft choice for that season, and if you do you will be entitled to a better draft selection the following season.

An important note on this, if you waive your draft pick in one season it will guarantee a better selection the following season based on where you are in line that season. Not an automatically better choice than the one you waived. So if you?re a low rep team in one season and waive a high draft choice, the following season you are a higher rep team it will grant you a better choice than you would have otherwise been entitled too ? not necessarily a better choice than the one you waived.

There is a maximum effective limit of 3 consecutive waivers, each increasing your position in the draft. If you continue to waive draft positions for more than 3 consecutive seasons it will not increase the benefit to draft position. So what happens when you accept the draft allocation?

After the draft is finalised you will be given an ?option? on a specific player, at this stage that player is committed to joining your club ~ but not yet available for all matches. Players on options can be used in friendly matches and vs CPU teams, but they cannot be used in Major Competition (FA) matches until they sign a full contract.

With an option on a player you have a few choices still, you can hold onto that option and at the end of the current season that player will sign a full contract with your team with no additional charges (i.e. you don?t have to buy these players). You can sell your option, much as you would trade a player normally you can choose to sell the option on the player you received in the draft, and this aspect offers a great opportunity for newer teams to raise some early funds. Finally if you decide the player is not what you?re after, or just doesn?t fit into your team system, you can release the option sending the player to the free agent?s pool.

One very important aspect of this system is that players do not age until after they have signed a full contract with a club. Alongside the determining factors for who is cloned this should ensure that any player you receive through the draft system will play under a full contract for your side for at least two years.

Newgen Worlds

As the name suggests, this world type will have no players whose names are based on real life. Each player in these worlds will be a generated player from day one, the other major point of difference is the player draft. Newgen worlds will not have the player draft outlined above, but they will have a semblance of the cloning system that the draft utilises. Why?

A common perception in the current gameworlds is that players generated throughout the gameworlds life are not as good as those available from the start. Whether that?s an accurate view or not is moot, the perception is there and with so many things perceptions tend to become accepted fact.

So, with newgen worlds the players set out in the original database selected for the worlds start will be treated in a similar vein to the real name players from the returning stars worlds, except here they will be given different names as well. So without a draft how does that benefit anyone?

Initial Squads

It?s likely after the reset that initial squads will come from a set pool of 50 or so players, this system is still under development but the principle seems likely. But that will only apply to the first season of a gameworld, after that new people joining an older world will have a much greater range of players to choose from. One of the main issues from the old system though was that there was very little of value left in the initial pool for starting teams who joined a gameworld late.

So the big change here comes with the cloning system, on average there are around 2,000 players a season who retire in each gameworld. Even in Returning Stars worlds the draft will only utilise around half of those, which leaves a lot more players who have been cloned. These players are available to new teams only, separated from the general free transfer pool, they are held in reserve for those joining a gameworld later on.

In this way regardless of the world type there should be some decent quality players available for anyone joining a gameworld many seasons in, and for the returning gameworlds some known players for them to pick up. Once signed by a new team these players can be brought into a gameworld and sold on as usual, but it at least gives new players to old worlds an opportunity to sign an initial squad with a similar level of value to the squads those who started on day one had.

Elite Gameworld

The third type of gameworld mentioned was that of an ?Elite? type, still no major information on what the qualifying for this will be. It will be one of the above two types of gameworld though (and possibly one of each), the only major difference will be the experience (ability?) of those that get invited. Last information on this suggested it would be based on the life of your team, not just the last few months, which would determine whether you get an invite.

However whether this type of gameworld ever comes to fruition may well depend on the numbers of people interested in joining, from what I?ve seen (heard) within the current worlds it appears the majority of managers would prefer to move with the community they know than join this type of world.

Final Word

A number of important changes developed here for the restart, by ensuring a decent quality of available players for those joining later on it removes much of the objection to joining older gameworlds. Along with many of the other changes developed for 1.4 and under development for 1.5 Football Manager Live 2.0 looks like a far more successful prospect than where the game was 4 months ago.

My Twitch channel
Tsakalaki

? A Fresh Start

Tomorrow sees the re-launch of Football Manager Live with some big changes, it?s not quite the unveiling of FML 2.0 (that will be after the 3D match engine), but plenty of big changes for those who have played before. The biggest change most will notice when their new world opens is the starting squads and a more relaxed beginning to a gameworlds life.

No more of the race to log in first and grab the best players, the new worlds have pre-assigned squads and whether you log in for the first minute or 2 days (even 20 days) later it won?t change who get to choose from in making your first squad.
So how does it all work ?

On joining everyone will receive a similarly balanced pool of players to choose from, up to 50 players in a pool, and it?s from these that you select your first squad. All the players used in these pools have acquisition fees below 100k, so no big names for a lucky few. Each pool has been balanced across a number of factors including Current Ability (CA), Age, Player Positions, Acquisition Fees and in the case of youth players Potential Ability (PA) has also been used.

There may still be some small discrepancies between individual pools, but overall the balance of what?s available to everyone from day one is very good. If your after a certain type of team, all youth or one nationality, then you will have to build it up over several seasons just like anyone who wants a world class team will have too.

The initial 500k is still there for you to purchase the players from within your pool for your first squad, the only real change here is the limited wage cap of 50k from the start and given the fact all the best players are unavailable it?s something you will hardly notice.
Squad Confirmation

The other big change with initial squads is you no longer have to confirm your squad before playing a match. You now have the freedom to try out all the players in your pool over a few days with friendly matches before you confirm your squad. There is no real benefit to confirming early ? nobody gets any income until the first season starts so there?s plenty of time to check out all your players and decide just who you want and who you don?t.

No more benefits to signing in a squad of cheapies and raking in a bit of extra income over the first few days, the only real benefit to confirming early is it gives you the chance to try and sign some players from the free agent pool (in wage auctions), but as the only players available here through the pre-season are those rejected by others from their initial pool there?s not too much advantage.

Once you do confirm your squad any players from your pool that are not selected in your squad will be released to the free agents pool for anyone to bid on through standard wage auctions.
You do not need to confirm your squad until the Transfer Market officially opens.
Transfer Market

You will not be able to Buy, Sell, Loan or Swap players with any other manager until after the first season starts! Again, no benefits to getting in early and trying to set up deals with people who haven?t tried out their players, the transfer market is closed until the season kicks off.

The only players available to purchase throughout the first off season are those rejected by others from their initial pools, and these players can only be purchased via the standard 24hr wage auction process.
Star Players

As noted above the other big change to the early seasons is the absence of the big name players, you can?t just be the first to save up enough cash to buy them. All the big names are held back (locked) from the market for a period time. Over the course of the next FOUR seasons these players will slowly be introduced to the free transfer pool, making them eligible for wage auctions. But, the bigger the name the longer it will take for them to be available, with the very highest Acq Fee players being held back for four seasons.

Important to note here that players do not age until they are available to bid on, so locked players will become available at the age they were when the gameworld started even though they have been held back for 4 seasons (years).

That covers most of the big differences to the start up procedure for teams in new worlds, it?s worth noting that this system only applies to the beginning of a gameworld. Those who join in seasons to come will still have a choice of players from the entire free agent pool and as mentioned in the article on Gameworld Types they will also some other players held over especially for new teams ? depending on the age of the gameworld.

Good Luck with the re-launch, a fresh beginning for all !

My Twitch channel
Tsakalaki

Gaming Communities in The New Age of Social Media and Democratization of Search

Posted: 07 Apr 2010 12:30 AM PDT

Recently, I was speaking to Caleyjag, the founder of one of the top Football Manager fan sites on the web and also, quite likely one of the most innovative members of the FM community for many years.

On FMFanboys, he made a statement that:

?the community just isn?t needed as much as it once was.?

All respect in the world to him, but I think he couldn?t be more wrong. The community is even more important now than ever before with the immense power that independently operated fan sites have in this new digital age.

Type in ?Football Manager 2010? into Google and see what comes up. Realize this phrase is estimated at 1.2 million individual searches a month. Add all the other varieties of similar search phrases (reviews, tactics, downloads, graphics, etc.) and you easily get 10+ million searches made per month that shout out ?I?m looking for information pertaining to this specific game?. So, what does this existing or potential customer see?

The usual web sources are there ? the official FM site, Wikipedia entry, Steam page, Amazon product page? but right on the first page is none other than the True Football Manager blog, FM-Base resource site and SoccerLens blog. All on the same ?playing ground? with the big boys. That?s the democratization of search.

Users get results based on relevancy and authority. For many the search popularly used for Football Manager, websites like Susie, FM-Britain, FM Scout, Soccer Gaming even come up in results above the official website and the big-time video game magazines. (so much so that sometimes footballmanager.com & sigames.com appear as low as the 5th page in many highly typed searches)

This means that independent fan sites can easily have access to a large portion of the playing demographic. Just produce content that is both relevant and helpful to those looking for this information. No longer can game developers, game publishers and huge gaming magazines just buy their control of the marketing message, opinion and support for their products.

In addition, the connectivity of the internet and mass public adoption of ?social media? platforms and networks has immensely changed the way we?re all influenced. Ask any marketer or salesman of the past 50 years and they?ll all say ?word of mouth converts more so than any other forms of advertising combined.?

Take it from Tony Key, the senior vice president of sales and marketing at Ubisoft, the French video game publisher behind big hits from the Tom Clancy games to Prince of Persia:

Well, people are connecting now in different ways and getting their information in different ways. You used to get information from TV. Now it?s the Internet. We?ve always heard that word of mouth was the strongest. That is nothing new. It is the strongest sales tool. But now word-of-mouth happens 100 times faster than before. You can really spread your message quickly with the right strategy. That is where social media comes in. You are plugging into that and trying to get them to talk about your products.

Before the internet era, the only people who could spread something to the general public in a wide scale were those with lots and lots of money ? for purchasing time/space on mass broadcast mediums (TV, radio, newspapers). That was the only way to get a significant amount of potential customers to be aware of and consider a product ? and the company itself dictated the exact message being portrayed.

That could be a million people getting information that ?X is the greatest thing since sliced bread!? Whether or not Joe Blow consumer in the Midlands thinks the video game is overrated & riddled with bugs didn?t mean anything. How many people can he tell that to? 20? 30? His immediate friends and maybe some dudes at the local game shop? Back then, his voice didn?t matter much on the bottom line.

Enter 2010 and the dawn of the socially connected digital age. With platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Bebo as well as individual blogs (by way of search) and independently operated community forums (by way of search and social platforms) ? consumers now have the ability to share their thoughts and ?word of mouth? with others on a scale unheard of before.

Joe Blow consumer at the game shop (who before can only influence 20-30 buyers), now after a good experience or bad experience with a video game, as well as with strategy, hints, how-to?s, discussion, whatever he wishes ? he can go on his blog and write whatever he pleases, post his opinions & info on Facebook or Twitter and then have it seen by 1000?s and 1000?s of others or more. The effect explodes even more when other consumers can easily then share this message with their social network (of anywhere from 1 or 100 or 1000+ others) with a simple click of the mouse.

All of this without money for an advertising budget. All of this without any control or influence from the game publisher.

The final piece of the puzzle combines both the democratization of search and the connectivity of social platforms. It comes right back to ?word of mouth? influence on buying decisions. Think of the movies, TV shows, video games, clothing, or virtually anything you?re looking at spending money on. Do you just rely on a 30 second preview of a film when you decided to plunk down $10 at the theater? Do you just take a look at a full-page ad for a video game and then rush out and buy it no questions asked? Do you watch a specific show on TV because some critic in the newspaper said it was great? I surely don?t. Most others don?t as well.

In a recent Blitz research report, some eye-opening facts confirm these points:

Respondents also generally considered pals more influential than ?experts.? ?Talking to friends? was rated as very important by 46%, as was ?friends play it,? while ?expert reviews? were seen as such by only 23% and 32% even saw them as ?not useful at all.?

* Avid gamers are heavily immersed within the digital/online space but disregard the majority of staid advertising methods that are thrown at them.
* Avid gamers rely on peer recommendations and their friends for advice, yet social media remains underutilized and inefective in its current form.
* Avid gamers have their interest peaked by commercials, yet they fail to show all-important game play footage.
* Avid gamers find game Web sites a strong point of interest, yet marketers are reluctant to invest in sites that fully integrate functionality that is of interest to our audience, including social commentary, peer reviews, gameplay footage, online demos, etc.

Blitz is critical of such standard marketing fare as behind-the-scenes trailers, podcasts and wallpapers, saying they ?are eschewed by avid gamers,? but the criticisms seem a little misguided considering it plays up the importance of peer influence and encourages developers to ?get your audience addicted to the game.?

The mere fact that 19% saw downloads of ?wallpapers, screensavers, etc? as one of the most important influencing online activities and 56% found them at least useful indicates that the relatively small effort -and budget ? of such offerings can go a considerable way towards strengthening certain portions of a game?s online fanbase.

The gatekeepers are no longer in control. The community surrounding a video game has a remarkable ability to make a measurable effect on the perception and information spread about a title. This gives unwielding power to influence both potential customers in their purchase decisions as well as supply existing users with additional conntent & support to supplement their playing experience ? possibly turning ?casual? types into raving, addicted, enthusiatic avid fans, who then evangelize others in their passion for the game.

But, with great power comes great responsibility. (a Spiderman quote!)

Yes, this connectivity allows the community to also spread potentially incorrect information, warped perceptions, negative viewpoints and even downright lies, if it so chooses to do so. But nefarious acts with purposeful ill intent undermines the benefits of this new era of mass communication.

Honesty wins, the good reviews with the bad. Transparency wins, giving context to your editorial opinions. And most of all, the willingness to help others wins. Producing independent content and discussion that further provides depth for those interested in purchasing the game and enhancing their enjoyment of the product. These are the true shining stars of a community?s effective mission statement.

From the game publisher?s point of view, this all represents a radical shift from the status quo. As with any tipping point, change can be a quite daunting and frightening proposition. Seeing it happen before their eyes and still attempting to clutch to things just because ?that?s the way we always did it?. It?s a quite common human response. We can?t fault them for it. More so that anyone, the publishers & developers want to see their game succeed, get better, build a bigger, more rabid fanbase and share their unrelenting passion for the product ? especially since many of those working on a game were former consumers of it themselves and still play the product having a true emotional attachment that cannot be matched.

Even so, eventually the parents must allow their of-aged children to ?move out of the house?. Hoping that they raised them with the right values, proper learning and correct information to venture into the world on their own ? representing both the positive as well as the negative influences from their upbringing. But remember, the parents will always be there to let the children ?back in the house?. They?ll be there to provide support & care for them and continually reinforce their highest qualities ? even if they leave once again and fail to embrace this information in the best of ways.

In this social/digital age where content producer & content consumer are both one and the same, where word of mouth explodes and ?amateurs? operate in a significantly more level playing field as the ?professionals? ? it?s those who seek to bridge the gap in the relationship divide who will prosper massively with amazing synergy.

Said by JP Sherman on key influencers on video game sales and critical strategies for video game marketing:

Gamers tend to be less susceptible to traditional forms of marketing compared to other groups, however, we crave content, media, conversations, images, op-eds, previews and a myriad of other forms of communication to consume. This is also marketing. Gamers are pre-programmed to consume the kind of social connection marketing that?s evolved over the internet, social media and mobile applications. We eat this stuff up at a phenomenal rate.

I want contest information, I want community news, I want deals and exclusive content. This eCRM system full of gamers who are enthusiastic could be transformed into loyal customers and producers of content for you.

Social marketing is an established habit and behavior of gamers. We crave information and we?re more than willing to modify it, share it, post it and do whatever the hell we want with it. Video game social media marketing is about knowing what core behaviors and desires gamers have and feeding that need with a planned and programmed content release schedule.

It?s this symbiotic relationship that creates a pure living, breathing, fruitful community for all participants ? both the consumers as well the publishers & developers. Each side sharing the burden and responsibility for the success of a title.

Paving the way for a bright future in which new users can utilize the community to recieve honest peer opinions and make comprehensively informed decisions. Where the fanbase helps others learn the basics, creates content for further enjoyment in the playing experience and provides unbiased discussion and support to all members that comprise the game?s ever-growing consumer base.

Leading the charge in which the community?s efforts are nurtured and enhanced by the publishers and developers. Harnessing the energy of the game?s rabid fanbase and allowing them to mobilize far and wide in an uncontested fashion ? not with control & restriction that essentially eliminates the true authenticity of an independent peer source. Supplementing the community with tools to achieve the best laden efforts in the quality of produced content and distribution. Intergrating the rabid fanbase with their internal marketing mindset in order to further increase the enagement factor between consumers, therefore amplifying the reach and effect of the message and passion to others.

Everyone wins in the process.

The game improves. The community increases in size. Video game sales go up. More resources can be put in for the game?s development. More raving fans to produce content, discussion and get the word out to others. It?s a snowball effect that grows exponentially greater each cycle around.

But it takes resisting the fear of change. Resisting the mentality of ?that?s the way it?s always been?. Resisting the dependency of uni-directional participation which defined our specific roles in the old system. We may all call it the ?new media? ? but in a way, it?s about delving into our civilization?s past by embracing the ?tribal? philosophies of our ancestors. Where the exchange of ideas and value ruled society and social capital was the currency.

So, what are you doing for the tribe to get this snowball rolling?

Applying Scarcity To Skill Specialization
Posted: 09 Apr 2010 12:30 AM PDT

This piece was originally posted almost two years ago on the FM-Britain forums. I believe it still applies today in and explains a very fundamental point with any zero-sum game.

I believe the skills have direct game theory implications. Although I don?t consider myself an expert on the exact nuances of this higher math, my poker-playing experience with game theory concepts I think relate to this discussion.

In a situation where the same decision by any participant results in anything but the same outcome, an advantage is seen.

In poker this is typically called ?getting the best of it? where both the wagers of you & you opponent match, yet probability-wise, one of you will win more often than eachother. This also comes into effect more on point where your action frequency (like bluffing) on a level that an opponent?s decision made 100% of the time results in a profit. (but we?ll leave the poker talk for another day for now)

The skills represent this concept ? the higher level you have in each compared to your opponents gives you an advantage. For example, having 4 star crossing coaching while another has only 1 star boosts your squad?s attribute 15% more than his. Although some of the skills may not appear as tangible as this (like scouting) the fact still remains the same.

Taking this concept even further ? the more skills that are shared between participants (most amount of that is) then the less valuable the skill is as a whole. Take for instance the above example: we have determined that the first user has a significant advantage over others that do not have that skill. What if everyone in the GW had 4 star crossing coaching? In effect then it would render no one at an advantage in that area. Everyone?s players will excel at a 20% boosted rate in crossing.

Let?s now look at this from another angle using extreme sides of the spectrum. What if you were the only user out of 1000 that had 4 star crossing? While a 5% extra boost in one attribute it may seem insignificant, according to game theory concepts, you have rendered any ?decision? by all of your opponents futile as your result will always have a positive result. In this case, a ?typical? crossing stat for most of the GW is 10 (as an example), while your players will be at 10.5. (5% more)

On the opposite side, what if you were the only user out of 1000 that DIDN?T have 4 star crossing? While the above situation is true that game theory states that your ?decision? will be at a negative against all opponents, an interesting thing happens when applying the value of the skill to the equation. (remember as I showed before the fact that a skill? s value goes down as more participants have it) Using the same example ? a ?typical? crossing stat for JUST YOU is 10 while almost a thousand users (the rest of the GW) will be at 10.5.

You can probably see the overriding fact by now. It incorporates another concept typically used in economics ? scarcity (supply & demand) If you had to put a dollar amount on the crossing skill itself, what would it be worth in the first example? Well, being that you would be the only person with players boosted in crossing, it would make them a scarce commodity, hence the ability to demand top price for it. In the second example, everyone but you has the skill. That means there are MANY players with the same level of crossing? you may not be able to create them though, but it?s an abundant commodity. (?a dime a dozen? as people say)

Combining these concepts and looking at it as a mathematical proof, this ?proves? the theorem that skills are directly relative in value to the amount of users that possess them. Therefore, learning a skill that 10% of the GW has is more valuable than learning one that almost everyone has.

I have to reiterate the fact though that this is only based on game theory. I am aware that skills are interdependent and other factors may have to be considered in determining the ?true? value of each skill. Some effect the gameplay more than others based on your own variables. (such as physio skills when you have equal cover in all positions, hence not a high care whether starters get injured)

Try to absorb this in without your head exploding and share your thoughts?

My Twitch channel

Return to “Around the world”